Wood gas, take 2

Yup, this is me with the wood gas stove again. But this time with a bigger stove.

For this experiment, I used a milo tin as the insert and a Ricoffee tin as the skirt.
Adding fuel to this stove is much easier. I didn't have to take the kettle off once.

I also got a little more high tech for this experiment, and bought a kitchen scale
in order to collect more accurate data.

Here is the assembled stove on the scale. As you can see, it weighs in at 277 grams.

Below you see the tin and the fuel I used for the experiment. The weight you see there is just the fuel, as I tared out the weight of the tin. The scale turned out far more value for money than I though, as I did not expect it to have tare functionality built in.

All the usual suspects assembled, with one critical difference... I was boiling 2 liters of tap water this time.

I started the fire at 20:04.

After adding some more wood, there was lots of smoke, to much actually. It appears that filling the stove to the brim when first staring it, is not a great idea.

Despite the smoke, I decided to put the kettle on. This was at 20:10.

I was rather concerned by the amount of condensation on the stove. It was quite ridiculous actually. Those "blister" like formations you see here are actually water droplets that formed on the bottom of the kettle.

At 20:13 the smoke suddenly vanished and I had full blown gasification. From this angle you can see the condensation on the kettle far better.

I took these pictures to give an idea of just what kind of flames are coming off this stove.

At 20:22 I noticed that the condensation at the bottom of the kettle was gone.

At 20:32, the water was boiling.

I made some coffee again, my wife had some tea.

There was still one peace of wood left from the fuel I prepared.

The content of the stove right after the kettle came off for making the coffee.

At 21:13 the stove cooled down enough to handle, and I decided to remove the remains of the fire and weigh it.

First I had to get a container. This is a tobacco tin I had lying about.

I emptied the stove into the tobacco tin.

And here's what the tin weighed with the remains in it. Couldn't use the scales tare function here, as you have to have the item being used as tare weight on the scale when you switch it on.

Here is a summary of this experiment.

The stove itself weighed 277 grams.
The fuel intended for use weighed 368 grams.
Of that fuel, 51 grams was not used. Leaving a total of 317 grams of fuel, that was used.
A total of 5 grams of remains could be collected.
With an error factor of 2 grams on the collected remains. Making the total 7 grams. The ratio of fuel to remains is 2.2 grams of remains for every 100 grams of fuel.

That is a staggering 97.8% of the fuel, gone!

The experiment took 1 hour and 21 minutes to conduct.
The duration between the kettle going on, and the time the 2 liters of water boiled, was 22 minutes.
After making coffee, the pot went back on and 10 minutes later, the last of the bubbles disappeared.

Looking at these results, has me wondering where this technology would have been, had it not been abandoned for less sustainable methods.